On Friday our ward had its annual chili cook off, Ryan has always wanted to enter but hadn't been able to because of work. Ryan entered a chili and won! I also entered in with a cornbread and got runner up. Pretty good for first timers! Here are the recipes, in case anyone wanted to try them out...it is almost chili/cornbread season.
1. 2 Pounds of Beef Chuck Roast cut into 1 inch cubes. And no do not trim away the fat. It goes in the pot.
2. 1 Pound Ground Chuck or ground beef.
3. 1 Pound of Boneless Pork Chops Cut into 1 inch cubes or 1 pound ground sausage (I prefer sausage because of the stronger flavor).
4. 2 Large Purple Sweet Onions Finely Chopped
5. 2 Large Green Bell Peppers Cleaned and Finely Chopped
6. 6 Jalapenos Diced Very Fine (put less Jalapenos for milder chili but no less than 2 for flavor)
7. 1 Can 4 OZ. Chopped Green Chilies
8. 16 OZ. Red Kidney Beans (That’s 16 oz cooked, two cups if you’re making it yourself or just get a 16 oz can)
9. 16 Oz. White Kidney Beans
10. 32 Oz. Whole Tomatoes
11. 2 16 Oz. Cans Crushed Tomatoes
12. 4 13 Oz. Cans Regular Beef Broth
13. 1 Cup Chili Sauce
14. 3 Tablespoons Oil (vegetable or canola)
15. 3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
16. 3 Tablespoons Ground Cayenne Pepper (less cayenne for milder chili but at least 1T for flavor)
17. 2 Tablespoons Fresh Ground Garlic
18. 1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
19. Salt to taste (I put about 3 tablespoons)
20. 10 oz apple cider
21. 1 Large Can Tomato Paste
In a large skillet or pot brown and drain your beef and pork. Add your onions, jalapenos, and peppers and Chile's. Cook until your onions and peppers are tender. Place into a large stock pot and add in all your other ingredients but your beans and tomato paste. Cook over low to medium heat keeping just below a boil for 6-8 hours (or you simmer for an hour or so and then chill in the fridge overnight. It’s all about letting the flavors come together). In the last hour add in your beans and your tomato paste.
1. 1 Cup butter melted
2. 1 Cup White Sugar
3. 4 Large Eggs
4. 1 15 Oz. Can Cream Style Corn
5. 1 4 Oz. Can Green Chile Peppers Very Well Drained
6. 1/2 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
7. 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
8. 1 Cup All Purpose Plain Flour
9. 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
10. 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
11. 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and spray a 9 X 13 baking pan.
In a large bowl mix all ingredients together very well. Pour your mixed ingredients into the baking dish and bake for 1 hour until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean. This cornbread will not dome up like cake…enjoy!
5 Free Recyclebank Points
1 day ago