October 22, 2008

Clogged Tear Ducts

Ryker needed to have surgery on his clogged tear duct today. It was a simple procedure, but he still needed to be sedated. Because malignant hyperthermia runs in Ryan's family, and is triggered by general anesthesia Ryker needed to have an IV. In order to get the IV, we had to hold him down while the nurse poked both of his hands........I think the IV experience was the worst part of the whole thing. The surgery itself was about 30 minutes but we had to stay at the hospital for six extra hours just in case. Ryker was great considering he had to keep his IV in almost the entire day!

It was sort of fun to spend time all together without worrying about anything else going on. And I am so thankful that everything went okay and now Ryker shouldn't have so much eye crust all the time!

3 comments:

Janelle & Brandon said...

I am glad everything went well, I bet it was nerve racking for you though.

Jenny said...

I had to Wikipedia the malignant hyperthermia thing...interesting! Glad he's o.k., and no more eye crust/eye boogs!

Josh said...

I'm glad everything went well with the procedure. Ryker looks like he was a trooper--had a smile for his mom on the camera ;) Hey, can you email me so I have your newest email address? I keep getting bounce back on the old one.